Monday, October 10, 2011

Week 1 Photo Challenge: Animation Festival Project



For this first post I decided to do a noiresque type piece. just a simple short in black and white that plays off of the stereotypical things you would see in a noir film. Narrations, suits and hats, along with the picture being very still and having a isolated feel. I knew I wanted to do a comedy but not some slapstick buddy comedy. I ended up making almost the entire piece feel like it was a drama but at the last minute threw the curve ball in and made it into something completely left field which I think helps make it pretty funny. This was my first time working with the website xtranormal but I found that it was pretty fun. I've seen plenty of these videos around the web but I always figured people made them from scratch. The whole interface was pretty easy to navigate and made telling a quick story pretty fun. I think for somebody who has great ideas and stories this is a good way to visualize in a sense what it would look like on screen. I kind of see it as a storyboard of sorts. The site is easy enough to bang out a few scenes here and there to get an idea of what the interaction could look like. Of course the actual speech is going to be drastically different since the playback for all of them sounds like a robot of sorts. That would be my main downfall for this site. The robotic playback of script is also probably what makes this site used for more comedy than anything because its hard to take a conversation serious when you sound like R2-D2.

No comments:

Post a Comment