Monday, November 21, 2011

Week 7 Photo Challenge: Screenplay Cover


Exciting? Probably not. Real? Very much so. Door to Door was a short comedy film that I recently did a couple of months ago. The screenplay ended up being about 11 pages with the short coming in just over 12 minutes long. This was the longest project that I have ever shot and man was I in for it. People backing out, shooting late nights, and a plethora of other challenges came up along the shoot but in the end my team and I pulled it together. I came up with the idea after brainstorming with a couple classmates on a genre and topic. I had never really done a comedy and anything long so I said why not. Superbad was a huge influence when it came to the tone of the film. I wanted to have that teenage, ridiculous night, trying to get the girl type short. I jotted done countless lines, themes, and other ideas in my notebook like I do with everything that I write. For this story in particular I sat down with my cousin and together we basically came up with the order of events and what happens throughout. I'm glad that I had the chance to bounce ideas off someone and write because it took a lot of the pressure off of me. When it came down to actually writing the thing I just opened Celtx and started typing away using my notes. It took all of about 2 full days of writing and refining to get the story where I wanted it. Now when it came down to shooting the short was everything shot for shot as written in the screenplay? No. But it definitely laid the backbone of the story. This was also the first time I had actually gotten to see actors improvise and adapt my script to there own personal interpretation. Some of the things that happened and where said in the heat of the shoot I could have never of come up with sitting in front of my computer typing. But I guess that's all part of the movie magic!

No comments:

Post a Comment